Every folk using computer on daily basis is aware of the power of Microsoft Windows search and though we all know the speed and reliability of Microsoft Windows search. For those who do not know; Microsoft Windows search runs on this executable – SearchIndexer.exe. SearchIndexer.exe in short is behind the powerful Microsoft Windows search engine.
However this SearchIndexer.exe lets the user enjoy good quality search results at a decent speed, but purportedly it slows down the computer and your system might face hangs due to it. No doubt it is a smart feature but as it hangs your system so it leave an impact that you should not use it. Instead of restarting your computer several times to recover from hangs, is it not better to use slower, less attractive but safer search?
Is SearchIndexer.exe Virus?
No it’s not a virus but as it slows down some computers and hangs them, it’s not less than a virus. Apart from slowing down your computer sometimes, it does not harm your computer, your privacy, and your data in any way.
Do you want to get rid of enhanced Windows search / SearchIndexer.exe? Do you want to search faster without your computer hanging now and then while searching? Here’s how you can disable SearchIndexer.exe in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows XP and the latest Windows 8. After disabling you will still be able to use Windows search, but your computer won’t hang and the results will not be like the ones you got while you used SearchIndexer.exe.
Disable SearchIndexer.exe In Windows Vista
1. Open Start Menu.
2. Launch Control Panel.
3. Double-click on Programs & Features.
4. Now on the left-hand side of the Program & Features window, click on Turn Windows Features on or off.
5. Uncheck the Indexing Service option.
6. Press the ENTER key or click OK.
This will disable SearchIndexer.exe in Microsoft Windows Vista and prevent Microsoft Windows from using enhanced search while searching and thus will help you search faster and your computer will not slow down or hang. This will not disable Microsoft Windows search entirely, but will only disable the options or advanced features which are known to consume a lot of resources.
Disable SearchIndexer.exe In Windows XP
1. Open Start Menu.
2. Click on Run.
3. Type services.msc to have a look at all the services.
4. Browse the various services and locate Windows Search (WSearch).
5. Right click on Windows Search and select Stop. You can alternatively left click on Windows Search and from the left-pane, click on Stop.
6. This stops the Windows Search service, but it will be launched again after you restart your computer. To prevent Windows Search service to launch automatically on startup, locate Windows Search and right-click on the same.
7. Select Properties.
8. Besides Startup Type, select Disabled.
9. Press the ENTER key or click OK.
This will disable Windows enhanced search & SearchIndexer.exe. This will enable you to search faster and prevent your computer from hanging again & again. The second method to disable SearchIndexer.exe on Windows XP also works on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Disable SearchIndexer.exe In Windows 8
In Windows 8, press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog. Enter services.msc and click OK.
The Services window appears. Scroll down, right click on Windows Search and select Properties.
Stay on the General tab of the properties windows and change the Startup type entry to Disabled. Click OK to save changes and exit.
This way you have easily disabled Windows Search, well, the indexing portion at least. You can still perform searches as normal; they just might not come up as fast. However now that the service is disabled you should see a noticeable increase in system performance for the other 99% of the time that you aren’t performing searches on your local machine.
Incoming search terms:
- SearchIndexer exe Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
- searchindexer exe windows 8
- turn off search indexer windows 8
- search indexer windows 8
- Microsoft Search Indexer Windows 8
- searchindexer exe
- windows 8 disable search indexer
- microsoft windows search indexer
- disable search indexer windows 8
- turn off searchindexer windows 8